Helping you pay your bill

Last reviewed:

Overdue bills

If your bill is overdue, please arrange for payment to be made straight away.

If you're having problems paying your bill, please don't hesitate to get in touch as there are lots of ways we can help you.

It’s important that you pay your bill on time or stick to a payment arrangement. If you don’t and haven’t told us why, we may need to take further action to collect payment.

Let us know - we can help you

There are a range of helpful options available. We can fit a water meter and water-saving freebies. Or we can put you on a special tariff that will reduce your bill. We could even provide you with a grant to reduce or pay your debt completely.

Please let us know as soon as possible and we'll do all we can to help.

Please call us on 0800 980 8800 and one of our team will be here to help.

Our lines are open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm Saturday and closed on Sunday and bank holidays

If you are calling from outside the UK, please call +44 1793 486 555

Download our leaflet which explains the different ways we can help:

We can help you take control over your bills

Could you save money by having a water meter?

Apply for help from our dedicated support schemes

We may be able to move you on to our WaterSure or WaterSure Plus schemes. These can help if you're struggling to pay your bill.


- receives a specific state benefit


- has a large family of three or more children

- has a medical condition that requires the use of extra water.


WaterSure Plus: You may be eligible if:


- you’re on a means-tested state benefit


- have a household income below £16,105 (before any income tax)

- your water bill is more than 3% of your household income (after tax).

Customer Assistance Fund: You can apply for a grant if you owe us money and are struggling to pay.

Manage your payments

Spread the cost of your bill by paying in instalments on a payment plan.

Make budgeting easier by paying via Direct Debit.

Arrange to pay your bill and debt in small amounts directly from your benefits with Water Direct.

Seek independent advice

Organisations such as Citizens Advice BureauStep Change Debt Charity and the National Debtline can provide you with free, independent advice.

Extra care services

If you have specific medical or mobility issues, please get in touch with our Extra Care team so we can be as helpful as possible.

In this section

Water Direct scheme WaterSure Plus scheme